One of my clients, a leading main contractor, are looking for a Safety Health & Environmental (SHE) Advisor to join the business.
The SHE Advisor will be fully conversant with all aspects and principals of construction and modern methods of construction. Be able to give sound and practical guidance at all levels of management on the business SHE management procedures and SHE legislation, complete auditing and inspections, carry out accident investigations, provide informed advice and support to deliver safe, healthy and environmentally friendly workplaces and sites.
- Advise Line Management in order to assist them to fulfil their responsibility for SHE.
- Carry out all SHE tasks as directed by the SHE Manager that are required to maintain the business SHE policies and procedures
- Carry out regular audits and inspections to identify safe and unsafe working conditions and working practices. Report on the result of such inspections and make recommendations to remedy any defects found.
- Promote and fully participate in the implementation of the Behavioural Safety Programme
- Advise on the practical implementation of Safe Systems of Work, Construction Phase Plans and Environmental Management Plans.
- Advise the SHE Manager and Director immediately of any fatalities, major injuries, dangerous occurrences or any incident likely to cause the attention of the HSE, or other public bodies.
- Inform the company Public Relations Manager of any incident that may attract attention from the press and ensure that Major Incident procedure is invoked where necessary.
- Compile accident reports for reportable accidents and provide recommendations to prevent a reoccurrence. Send reports to the SHE Manager and Project Director/Manager and ensure recommendations are actioned.
- Participate in the work of SHE committees and joint consultations affecting the workforce.
- Promote and where appropriate, undertake SHE training as required.
- Compile monthly progress SHE reports and communicate your finding effectively.
- Hold regular meetings with the SHE Director, business Directors & other Senior Managers for the purpose of advising and updating them the SHE policies and procedures.
- Provide an efficient SHE service to our supply chain and provide a link between different operating parts of the business to maintain consistent and effective communication.
- Attend pre-contract and pre-start meetings at the earliest stage of our project to ensure effective SHE standards are planned and implemented.
- Ensure that management are supplied with the necessary SHE information to maintain safe working practices to modern day legal standards and industry best practice, (this includes SHE Plans, local campaigns, awareness posters etc).
- Attend SHE training/CPD courses as directed by the SHE Manager.
- Keep up-to-date with modern SHE systems, techniques, new legislation, and codes of practice, CPD programmes and other SHE guidance.
- Develop and maintain an effective working relationship with other SHE Managers/Advisors employed within the business
Key Skills and Qualifications:
- NEBOSH diploma or equivalent (or demonstrable IPD/CPD equivalent) in Occupational Health and Safety
- Working knowledge of ISO 14001 and BS OHSAS 18001 Standards
- Ability to work on own initiative
- Experience in similar or supporting post
- Experience working understanding of SHE legislation
- Good oral and written communicator
- Ability to work as part of a team and to positively influence others
- Ability to work on own initiative, deliver key objectives while working under pressure and coping with stressful situations
This opportunity is offering up to £45,000 + benefits.
The SHE Advisor will be able to demonstrate competence with at least 5 years the construction industry safety, health and environmental experience within a similar construction business with a good practical understanding of the principles of SHE issues and legislation, and its interpretation into practical terms preferably as a Chartered Member of IOSH (CMIOSH).